Federal Registration

Most businesses must register with the US Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to obtain an Employer Identification Number (EIN). If you are not a US citizen, you may need an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) instead.


This is not a substitute for legal or professional advice.

Employer Identification Number (EIN)

An EIN is also known as a Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) or Federal Tax Identification Number and is issued by the IRS. A business needs an EIN to pay employees and to file business tax returns. The EIN is a unique identifier for your business. It does not expire and, once an EIN has been given to an entity, it is never issued again.

A sole proprietor without employees, may use their Social Security Number instead of an EIN. This is the only exception.

Apply for an EIN from the IRS either online, by fax, or by mail. To register online, use the IRS EIN Assistant. For fax or mail, review the IRS instructions for details. 

Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)

If you are not a resident of the US and do not have, or are not eligible for, a Social Security Number, you might need to an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). Similar to the EIN, this ID number allows business owners to comply with US tax laws. Learn more about the ITIN or apply through the IRS.

Last modified date: Thu, 06/18/2015 - 14:26